Is urinary incontinence a sign of post polio syndrome

Posted on Sat, 22 Oct 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: patient was born in XXXXXXX MN (Mayo Clinic) in 1952 and lived there 2 years during polio epidemic. Onset of bladder incontinence 4-5 ys ago. Now with bilat lower extremity weakness, atrophy, back and LE pain (not sure if it is in a dermatomal/myotomal distribution) with poor response after laminotomy.I wonder about post polio syndrome though there is no definite hx of clinical signs of polio as a child. Not sure how the bladder incontinence would tie in since generally autonomic issue. Maybe dorsal motor neurons to the pelvic floor? Is this suspicious for post polio syndrome? Are you aware of an association of urinary incontinence with that disease?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a typical post polio syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

By definition, post poliomyelitis syndrome refers to a condition that affects approximately half of people who have previously survived an acute attack of poliomyelitis, many years later (30-40 years).

So, evidence of an acute infection in youths is a must in determining this syndrome.

Furthermore, bladder incontinence is not a common symptom of post polio syndrome, the weakness is more general that localized only in extremities.

In my opinion, tests should be performed in order to understand better your brother's condition.

These tests include muscle biopsy, upper spinal cord levels (thoracic and cervical) MRI, nerve conduction study and EMG, in order to evaluate conditions such spinal cord vascular malformations, transverse myelitis etc.

Hope I helped you.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical