Is unwanted 72 necessary to take post unprotected sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
XXXXXXX

Me and my gf had unprotected sex on 29th july at 10 am and i'm sure that my sperm is not reliesed inside her vagina but a 1% chance for making it risky dats why I gave her unwanted 72 pill to take on 5 hours after unprotected sex for surety of unplanned pregnancy... but again at night approx. 9 pm we had again unprotected sex... tell me should she take another pill for second act ?.. now almost 48 hours over....plzz rply fast..
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO NEED TO REPEAT DOSAGE

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
There is no need to take another pill.
Unwanted 72 has the effect when taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.
So there is no need to repeat the dosage within 72 hours.
Also, indiscriminate use of Unwanted 72 will make its efficacy less, and also lead to side effects of irregular menstrual cycle.
It is best to use regular contraception.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.