Is there a cure for ringing in the ears?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Is there a cure for ringing in the ears?? I have had this problem for several years, but the severity has increased. It is usually loudest in the evening. I was tested by an audiologist and the prognosis was slight high end hearing loss. Can this be a side affect from meds? Can this cause other problems...such as interruption of sleep..or is this "just an annoyance".
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there is a cure for ringing in the ears

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
For your kind information there is a cure for the ringing in the ears. There are so many causes for the ringing in the ears but for you , I suggests
1. Strict control on blood sugar and blood pressure.
2. Tablet alprazolam 0.5 mg once in night for 1 month.

In your case cause of ringing in the ears may be diabetes, hypertension, hearing loss and/ or medication.

Thanks

Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 29 hours later
why an antidepressant/anxiety med?????
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Direct effect by reducing the perceived loudness

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,

I have gone through your follow up query; and for your kind information alprazolam have a direct effect on tinnitus by reducing the perceived loudness of this disease. It is an effective treatment for tinnitus in a large number of patients.

Thanks

Dr Hariom Sharma MBBS, MS
ENT Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj