Is there a cure for rabies?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 10 Dec 2014 in Infections
Question: I work in a veterinary hospital. I was badly bitten by a stray cat that was there to be euthanized. He was exibiting symptoms of rabies infection. No history of vaccinations. I was treated(abs and tetanus shot) the cat's head was submitted to animal control for rabies testing. If it comes back positive, what am I looking at treatment wise?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no specific treatment and you are covered

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Rabies has no cure as of date. The best treatment is vaccination and administration of rabies immunoglobulin shortly after the bite. Because you received the rabies abs shortly after, no matter the outcome of that examination you are covered. Also, follow through and complete the series of vaccination which is a total of 3 over a month.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 minutes later
Im sorry, i think i was not clear with my question. I was treated with antibitics and a tetanus shot only. The cat's head was sent to animal control to test to see if it has rabies. My question is, if the cat did in fact have rabies, what treatment will i have to go through? Its highly suspected that it was rabid as it was wild, and had never been vaccinated plus exhibited neurological signs. I was bitten Friday. I should know by monday if he had rabies or not. What does treatment(for me) consist of?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is rabies immunoglobulins and vaccinatio

Detailed Answer:

When bitten by an animal with no clear history of vaccination and the victim being unvaccinated, I recommend immediate administration of rabies immunoglobulin and vaccination. We cannot wait for results to return before starting treatment. Like I mentioned before, rabies has no cure. Talk to your doctors and let them start this treatment without further delays. If results come back good, we would have taken the necessary precautions.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to return and ask for more questions and clarifications if need be.