Is the pain at waist area caused by kidney stones?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: i am having pain at waist area on the left side it seems the pain is going down upto my thigh area.
i had previously faced the stone and rise in creatnine issue 2 months back. i had my creatinine checked last week which is at 0.9 and fall under normal category.
is this pain is because of kidney stone? please help me on this regard.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 days later
Brief Answer:
waist pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Waist pain can be from kidney stones. but it can also be from- intestinal problems, musculoskeletal problems- like from spine nerve compression, sciatica, or post injury.

since you earlier had stones- then we should suspect stone related pain.

Pain from kidney stone- is generally severe and the person is not able to tolerate and cries with pain. i dont know if your pain is that severe. It is also associated with burning sensation and blood in urine. It comes in episodes and can have associated vomiting. so you see if you are having these features.

to confirm we have to do a ultrasound ( picks up 90% times the stones) or a plain CT scan KUB ( picks up stone 100% times). one of this imaging will help us.

urine routine should be done to rule out infection.

If pain increases by bending over or twisting the back by side to side movement then the pain is likely from the spine.

stone pain DO NOT radiate to thigh. they can radiate to groin and urine area or only just the upper boundry of thigh.

So it the clinical judgement of your doctor plus the results of tests which will help you to confirm the diagnosis. All in all, it is not a big thing and should be easy to deal with, so rest assured.

Best Wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari