Is taking Effexor with Lexapro effective in treatment of depression and anxiety?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Dr XXXXXXX

I am have recently been put on Effexor along with having my lexapro increased to 20 to battle a recent recurrence of anxiety and depression. It has been about a week and 1/2 on the lexapro at 20 (still having anxiety) and this is the the 4 th day on the Effexor at 37.5.
I would love your advice this medication plan. Also is the 37.5 of Effexor a therapeutic dose when taken with the lexapro?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Carry on with same drug combination

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Lexapro contains escitalopram and it is a good antidepressant. Maximum therapeutic dose of lexapro in depression with anxiety is 20 mg per day and you were at same for more than 4 weeks. If you are not getting good benefit in symptoms, then adding another antidepressant from different group is good option. Lexapro is SSRIs and effexor (venlafaxine) is SNRIs. Adding effexor in your treatment is a good move by your doctor. There is nothing wrong in it. Every antidepressant takes time to show response and a antidepressant usually takes two weeks to show response. Therapeutic dose of effexor is 37.5 mg to 300 mg per day. Currently, you are at minimum therapeutic dose and with time, according to symptoms, your doctor would increase the dose if require. Just wait to get more response with medication.

You can also try some relaxation exercise like deep breathing or JPMR. That would help to keep drug dose in control. You can also try some benzodiazepine on sos basis.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist