Is switching from Eligard to Lupron safe?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I have been on Eligard 6 month depot for almost a year. My testosterone is below 10 and my PSA has dropped from 475 to 7.22. I have at least 6 distant bone metastasizes by bone scan. My doctor is planning to change to Lupron IM 6 month depot. I can't find any difference other than the serum level with Lupron is several times higher. The side effects with Eligard have been difficult. Can I expect worse side effects with Leupron?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Initially may have stronger side effects.

Detailed Answer:
Lupron and Eligard both contain the same ingredients. Their side effect profile is also similar. Since you are already tolerating the side effects of Eligard there should be no problem in shifting to Lupron. You may have hot flashes impotence bone pain or urinary retention initially. All these side effects are well tolerable. It is best to go with your doctor's recommendations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj