Is swallowing a teaspoon of calamine lotion toxic?

Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 13 year old mistakenly swallowed about a teaspoon of calamine lotion. She is is not complaining of any discomfort or pain. Is this amount toxic? Do I need to get in touch with a poison control center? We are currently out of the country. Should I give her millk? Water? What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Donot worry, give milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using health care magic.
Calamine lotion contains zinc oxide. It may be poisonous when taken orally in large amount. As your child has taken around one teaspoon it will not be dangerous.
Give her one to two glasses of milk to drink.
Also watch for signs like vomiting stomach upset or yellow eyes. If such symptoms appear then you need to go to the ER.
At present there is nothing to worry.
I hope I have helped you.
If you have any other query please feel free to ask.
Thank you.
Dr. Meera Kotecha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad