Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Is swallowing a teaspoon of calamine lotion toxic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 460 Questions
Question
My 13 year old mistakenly swallowed about a teaspoon of calamine lotion. She is is not complaining of any discomfort or pain. Is this amount toxic? Do I need to get in touch with a poison control center? We are currently out of the country. Should I give her millk? Water? What do you suggest?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Child Health
 
 
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Donot worry, give milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using health care magic.
Calamine lotion contains zinc oxide. It may be poisonous when taken orally in large amount. As your child has taken around one teaspoon it will not be dangerous.
Give her one to two glasses of milk to drink.
Also watch for signs like vomiting stomach upset or yellow eyes. If such symptoms appear then you need to go to the ER.
At present there is nothing to worry.
I hope I have helped you.
If you have any other query please feel free to ask.
Thank you.
Dr. Meera Kotecha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor