Is surgery advisable for displaced fracture of the tibial plateau?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 26 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have a displaced fracture of the tibial platieau and non displaced fRACTURE of the fibular head
what is the treatment for this and does it always require surgery?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs a surgery.

Detailed Answer:
A displaced fracture of tibial plateau needs proper reduction and fixation so that it can heal properly. A displaced fracture will not heal properly without a surgical fixation. Even after the surgery it will take around 6 weeks to heal completely. You will have to remain non weight bearing on the leg till then.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
I am in an adjustable knee brace immobilizer and also have bruised ribs so it is hard to remain totally non weight bearing. The ortho doc has me coming back weekly for xrays. I fell one week ago today tripping up a curb. ( genius I know) I fell hard on my left side and then received the diagnosis of bruised ribs and displaced fracture of the medial tibial plateau and non displaced fracture of the the fibular head.

The knee and leg are still swollen even when elevated, although more when it is down.

Is it ok to take off the brace and give the leg a rest as long as I dont put weight on it?

DO you think surgery is inevitable or is there a chance that it will heal without surgery?

Im not sure if there is any ligament damage because they did not do an MRI because he said he would not fix it now anyway due to the fracture.

Does this sound right?

I m really concerned because I live alone and do not have much help and find it almost impossible to be totally non weight bearing.

Any suggestions.??
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can take off the brace while resting but do keep the leg straight and well supported with adequate pillows.
Surgery is inevitable as the tibial plateau is displaced. it will not heal properly till it is fixed back properly into its place.
MRI can be done before the surgery to see the latest situation of the fractured fragments. You can wait for MRI till surgery is planned. Non weight bearing is necessary to avoid the further displacement of the fractured fragments.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.