Is strep throat while on antibiotics contagious?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: I just came back from my family physician and he swabbed my throat and I have strep throat. I started antibiotics this afternoon. I am a newborn nursery nurse and need to know when I am safe to go back to work?? He told me research shows that after 24 hours on antibiotics I should be safe to return to work.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
24 hours should be safe

Detailed Answer:
It is true that once you have been on antibiotics for 24 hours you should no longer be contagious so it would be fine to return to work. Make sure that you feel well enough to work before returning though. When you return make sure that you wash your hands frequently and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. Here is a site where you can read more about treating strep throat.
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/understanding-strep-throat-treatment
I hope you are feeling better soon,
Dr. Robinson