Is replenishing an expired Lantus insulin pen vital to maintain blood sugar levels?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I take Lantus and am out; I didn't notice there was an expiration on the "pen" I was given and it has expired.
I also take Humalog before each meal. I have not seen a doctor in awhile. I have Type 1 Diabetes.

Where do I go?
XXXXXXX Cranford?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is necessary to meet your doctor immediatelly for the prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear
I read carrefully your query and understood your concern.

My advice is to meet your doctor immediatelly because Lantus is vital for you.

Humalog or lispro insulin is a fast-acting insuli.It works to manage those blood sugar spikes after you eat and may help keep your sugar levels in balance, but you need Lantus because you need a long-acting insulin keeps working evenly for 24 hours.

You need to meet physically your doctor for the prescription(These things can't be done on line.)

Hope this is helpful.
If you have other questions,feel free and ask.I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad