Is reduced movement of limbs towards objects in infant a cause for concern?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Growth and Development in Children
Question: my son born at 36 w 4 days will be 3 months tomorrow. He hasn't discovered his hands n feet yet , he is not tracking any rattles or objects. he doesn't look at or bat at toys in his play gym. however he is tracking human beings. he is interacting, smiling and cooing very well. he in fact makes variety of sounds. should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I won't get worried as he has achieved the target milestones

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome on this platform

I can understand your concern.Time to achieve different developmental milestones varies among the babies and I wont get worried as your baby has achieved the target milestones.
The target milestone also called red flag sign is the developmental milestone which if not achieved by a particular age, it is a matter of concern.
The target milestone for 12 weeks old baby is lack of social smile.
At 12 weeks the baby should smile,able to control his head,turn his head towards the sound,fixes his gaze on bottle or bright object and should recognize mother.
Very few babies by this age can bat at boys or follow an object up to 180 degree.
I appreciate your way to follow the developmental milestones in your baby. Keep enjoying his every movements,smile and cooing and don't get worried as he is absolutely fine.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 12 minutes later
thank u for your prompt response. however he doesn't fix his gaze towards object even if it is bright. I have tried doing it. he is mostly looking at faces but never at an object. he also very rearly turns head towards sound but while playing he at times tries to imitate the sounds that I make. I have tried dangling bright rattles but he never follows them. I am very concerned. he never looks at rattles. I am very concerned that he might be showing early signs of autism. plz advice?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is very early to say about the signs of autism

Detailed Answer:
Not turning head promptly towards the sound is still OK but not fixing gaze towards object is something unusual.
But still I wont get worried as he follows the face of human beings.
In autism baby does not follows the faces or interacts with others and plays with himself.
It is too early to make comment regarding the diagnosis of autism by following his developmental milestones as the time to achieve milestones varies a lot among the different babies.
I would suggest you to get him evaluated by a pediatrician for proper assessment of development just to make yourself comfortable and free from anxiety.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 40 minutes later
I did mention this to his child specialist. She then made some noise with keys both sides of his ears to which he turned promptly. but at home if I make noise with rattles he never turns to them, keeps looking at the same direction. His doctor also made him track a bottle cap while making him sit upright which he did according to her but at home when I try to put brightly coloured object in front of his eyes when he is lying on his back he looks past them as if they don't exist. I am very confused and concerned. Please advice what might be the cause. I have great fate in your analysis n advice.
Brief Answer:
At this point of time I would like to wait and observe him closely

Detailed Answer:
At this point of time I would suggest you to just wait and keep a close observation on his milestones.
Sometimes as the time passes and development progresses, things get more clear.
I still don't think that anything is abnormal.Even if there is any abnormality,no intervention is needed other than follow up.
So don't get overly worried and give him some more time.