Is recurring pain in the outer part of my thigh associated with radicular pain?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: I get pain in my left thigh on the outer side of the leg when I've sat too long in the car, on my piano bench, or just gotten up out of bed in the am. Advil sometimes helps but sometimes does not. I've been to my doc who said I should go get PT which I did. It was a bit remediated but then after 7 sessions it came back pretty strong and I'm not sure was ever really gone. My doc said she thought it had something to do with a "radicular" muscle? I've had lots of vein work done on this same leg to get rid of bad varicose veins -- it seems to have gotten worse after I did this although prior to the vein work I did have minor pain and tightness after the same situations. Thanks for insights.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are suggestive of possible nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Madam,

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your attached query in detail.

Pertaining to your symptoms, the possibility of a nerve compression is very high. A nerve compression causes these symptoms of shooting pain sometimes associated with tingling sensation and numbness.

It's advisable to undergo a nerve conduction study of the affected lower limb to confirm the diagnosis.

A short course of nerve modulating agents like Gabapentin or Pregabalin helps to control the pain. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Further management if any is largely based on test results.

Weight reduction and a right sitting posture will help to minimize the pain.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Hello—

Thank you so much for your help on this. This sounds very probable. Do I need to get a script from my internist on this? And which kind of doctor does a nerve conduction study? Thank you so much again!
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation with a Neurophysician helps.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Madam,

Yes, it's advisable to get an opinion/script from your internist as well.

NCS is performed at your regional neurological imaging centers. This test is performed by a non/paramedic staff, but the report is interpreted by a Neurologist. Hence it's advisable to consult a Neurologist in person for the same.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 14 minutes later
Thank you again! You’ve been sooo helpful!
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Madam,

You are welcome.

Dr. Suresh Heijebu, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana