question-icon

Is protein leak from liver a cause for concern?

Posted on Wed, 6 Apr 2016
Question: I am told I have liver that leaks protein and have been given an little higher does of one of my blood pressure pills. What is my risk of developing a more serious condition and dying? I am 80 years young

I WILL WAIT FOR AN EMAIL RESPONSE

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM
Thank you for your query
I understand your concern
Well protein leak from liver may mean that you have developed water in belly that is ascites, if it is so needs detailed evaluation of liver function tests.
In addition to sonogram of stomach and evaluation of fluid in stomach.
All this will enable us to know the exact status of your liver and help us in determining what are possible complications and even life expectancy.
You can continue the medications required for your blood pressure.
Cutting down on sodium intake may help your blood pressure and leaky liver too.
Increasing your protein intake may help too.
Hope this answers your questions
Happy to help
Wish you a speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist