Is pregnancy possible while breastfeeding?
I am XXXXXXX age 29 & a mother of 1.6 years old baby - who is still on breast feeding. I only use calcium tablet as of now. one month back we accidentally had unsafe sex, but almost before 24 hrs only, I used tablet present in market (which is similar to Ipill) to not become pregnant. But since I still did not had my period for this month which is supposed to be on first week of month I did a pregnancy check with the strips available & it turned out to positive.I have 2 questions:
1. I am afraid the pill I used might have any adverse effects on the development of baby in my womb ?
2. Can i go for abortion - if so how complicated or painful process it is.
FYI - first baby is through C section on Feb 23 2015.
you may continue pregnancy if you wish to.
Thanks for the query to HCM,
As you are already 1.6 years into breast feeding post c-section, you may plan to continue this pregnancy and abortion is not advisable.
The pregnancy is due to contraceptive failure and the ipill like pill which you took is a progesterone pill and shall not harm the pregnancy in any way rather shall help support the pregnancy further. The concern during this pregnancy would be the previous c-section scar thickness which should be ideally more than 3mm to avoid any chances of scar dehiscence later in pregnancy. You may continue the pregnancy though if you wish to.
If you plan not to, then the termination of pregnancy has to be a surgical termination under USG guidance and not a medical termination at all, for chances of scar rupture again.
Can you be little more in detail about the sentence "The concern during this pregnancy would be the previous c-section scar thickness which should be ideally more than 3mm to avoid any chances of scar dehiscence later in pregnancy."
It is seen that as the pregnancy grows the scar on uterus thins and generally it takes 3 years for the uterine scar to heal completely, but this may vary. So an usg for scar thickness shall be helpful. If the scar is weak then in third trimester or during labour, chances of scar rupture exists and pain due to scar dehiscence or waking shall warrant a repeat c-section for sure.
No, It doesn't. Just that this makes you a high risk pregnancy and you should be at regular follow up with your doctor weekly in your third trimester. Rest of the pregnancy can be taken up normally.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cramps while breastfeeding
- False negative pregnancy test breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding pregnancy chances
- Pregnant and breastfeeding and negative pregnancy test
- Is it safe to continue breastfeeding during pregnancy
- Weight loss after pregnancy breastfeeding
- Chances of pregnancy during breastfeeding
- Bad cramping during early pregnancy while breastfeeding
- Dark spotting while breastfeeding
- Dry lips while breastfeeding