Is pregnancy possible despite taking I-pill?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello doctor,

I had an unprotected sex on 20th day of my cycle.though it was an withdrawal method my guy followed I did not wanted to take a chance and took an ipill in 3 hours.is there any chance of pregnancy and when would be the possible date of my period.

Please help me
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I pill will be effective

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.Taking i pill within 3 hours of unprotected intercourse prevents the pregnancy in 95-98% cases.
I pill is also known to delay the next expected periods by 2-3 weeks.
I suggest you to wait for your periods, if delayed then do get a urine pregnancy test and if negative, then there is nothing to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma

Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 9 minutes later
Which is the ideal safe period for a 30 days cycle.I am stressed out that I am not able to concentrate on anything because of this.my last period was 12th sep and you mean to say it might get postponed this month.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, the safe period for sexual intercourse is from Day one to day 8, and from day23 to day 30 of the menstrual cycle, that is approximately one week before and one week after the periods.
I pill generally delays the next expected periods by2-3 weeks,so you might get a delayed periods.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
You can get back to me for further queries later by asking a direct question to me on health care magic portal.
Dr Deepti Verma