Is negative ELISA HIV test result 28 days after exposure conclusive?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have had multiple hiv test, I had the elisa 4th genration at 28 days post exposure, 60 days, and I also had a CMIA test at 96 days post exposure....all these results were negative. I am still worried that I have hiv.

My stool has been very dark the last couple days almost black. Is this hiv???
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Free from HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

ELISA 4th generation test at 28 and 60 days along with CMIA test at 96 days all are negative then nothing to worry at all as these results are 100% conclusive and you are absolutely safe or risk free from HIV without any doubt.

Dark colored stool can be due to side effect of drug that you had taken like iron or it might be due to some other reason. Consult your physician, get done stool examination to isolate the cause and follow the treatment regime.

You can definitely allay the fear of HIV because your symptom is not related to it in any way and you don't need any further test for HIV. For any further query feel free to ask me any time and I am here to help you.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad