Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is my eye power OK to give an exam?

Answered by
Dr. N. K. Misra


Practicing since :1977

Answered : 1208 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have an power of
left eye : -1D sph and -2.25D cy
right eye : -1.25 D sph and -2.25 D cy

i want to apply for an examination. could you let me know if i am eligible. criteria is given below:

6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in other, correctable to 6/6 only for hypermetropia. )
Manifest Hypermetropia must not
exceed +2.0D Sph, Myopia – Nil and Astigmatism +0.75 D Cyl (within +2.0 D – Max)
Near Vision N-5 each eye.
Color Vision CP-1(ML T).
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 27 hours later
thanks for sending your query to us.
Since you are allowed -2 cylindrical power,you will have approximately the same passable vision of 6/6 and 6/9 in both eyes with -2 cylinders.
You should be fine for any examination
please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 45 minutes later
it says

Myopia – Nil

are you sure it won't create any issue. Because according to what i know my sperical power is -1 D and -1.25 D
this means i am myopic right??


" Astigmatism +0.75 D Cyl (within +2.0 D – Max) "

i have -2.25D in both eyes.

Does it qualify?

Correct me if i am wrong.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
thanks for getting back to us.
Your spherical power makes you myopic definitely
It is the cylinderical power that makes you borderline.
Put in your spherical power and -2 cylinders in the frame,and you will realize that you are still within normal limits
Then you can go ahead with a glass of -2 cylinder with sphericals for our eligibility.
Any difficulty please do get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Myopia

doctor1 MD

hi doctor my son 5 yrs and 3 months old complained that he cannot read faraway letters so we went for an opthalmologist and he confirmed myopia. his prescription is -1.5 in left eye and -4.5 and cylindrical power -2 in right eye. he prescribed glasses and patch for symptom of lazy eye. i wanted to know how worst is this and how to follow up

doctor1 MD

I have a black spot on the Sclera of my Rt eye. I have had dry eyes , myopia and floaters for sometime. what is this spot? Should I be concerned? Is there a connection with my other conditions?

doctor1 MD

When I close my eyes on my right eye I see a light that is blinking on and last about 15 seconds then it goes is close to my central vision..I am very nearsighted -10.50! My retina specialist checked my eyes about two weeks ago...

doctor1 MD

My daughter is 5 year old ,she has cylindrical power -2.5 in both the eyes but not myopia .is it compulsory to wear it through out the day.and does the cylindrical power increases if glasses are not weared.she is not wearing it to school where as...

doctor1 MD

What's up, Doc?I am an 18 year old Male, 5' 11" and 160lbs with a history of: SSRI (Celexa-Citalopram) (for 4 years, discontinued spring '10), Adderall, Melatonin and 5-HTP supplementation (on-going). I am a daily marijuana and tobacco smoker and consume 2-3 alcoholic drinks every 3 weeks or so. I've noticed over the years : low body temperature, irregular heart beat, chronic low blood pressure, chronic hypersensitivity to cold & light, chest pains, pectus excavatum, depression anxiety & ADHD, scoliosis & bad pasture, myopia, abnormal muscle tone & adipose tissue, a protruding L5-S1 from a deadlifting injury in the spring of '10, mild concussion from winter of '10-'11, urethra pain, premature ejaculation, weak erection, "hot" urine post-ejaculation, lethargy apathy and cynicism, decreased desire for physical contact or communication, constipation & sour stomach, a dermoid cyst of the nose, dilated & thick veins, thirst never satisfied/dry mouth, overly thin OR overly thick stool, (the strangest one) overwhelming nausea felt in the spine and thoracic cavity when doing the Dip exercise, and abnormal endurance levels when concentrated. Quite the list, eh?Anyways, I have been having for the past 48 hours an abnormal sensation of pressure/bloating in my right lower quadrant and alternating cold and warm 'flushing' moments in the area of the RLQ between the crest of the hip bone and the midline-upper groin. I have also noticed two small, very faint blue-tinted bruises, circular in shape with circumferences of about 1 inch. My skin has felt cold and clammy in the past 12 hrs, and pressure applied to the area near the bruises produces occasionally a somewhat faint but still unsettling sensation of discomfort/pain. Preceding these symptoms by about 1 week was onset of weak erections, hard or too-soft stool, and increased awareness of floaters. What could be happening?

doctor1 MD

I am 22 yrs old male and i am a patient of severe myopia.I am also a suspect of glaucoma (pressure 20 -22). Few months back i received a head injury after which i started seeing floaters and hazy type appearances. I consulted few eye specialist and they found certain weak areas and lattices (no tear or scar) in my retina. They advised me to have a wait and watch policy.Since floaters occur if there is a tear in the retina which is not the case here. I want to know if this has anything to do with head injury? I had CT scan which was normal. Is there a chance that due to injury some nerve problem has occured which are causing these?

doctor1 MD

Could playing outside in birght sunlight the day before you break out with measles cause near sightness 5 years later? When I was 6 years old (1965) i had measles. I remember the sun being so bright while I was outside playing. The next day I broke out with measles. At age 12 or 13 I became nearsighted and have had to wear glasses ever since. Neither of my parents or sibling are near sighted. Neither of my children are near sighted either. An eye doctor told me that the near sighted gene is dominant over the normal vision gene.