Is my eye power OK to give an exam?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have an power of
left eye : -1D sph and -2.25D cy
right eye : -1.25 D sph and -2.25 D cy

i want to apply for an examination. could you let me know if i am eligible. criteria is given below:

6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in other, correctable to 6/6 only for hypermetropia. )
Manifest Hypermetropia must not
exceed +2.0D Sph, Myopia – Nil and Astigmatism +0.75 D Cyl (within +2.0 D – Max)
Near Vision N-5 each eye.
Color Vision CP-1(ML T).
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 27 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
thanks for sending your query to us.
Since you are allowed -2 cylindrical power,you will have approximately the same passable vision of 6/6 and 6/9 in both eyes with -2 cylinders.
You should be fine for any examination
please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 45 minutes later
it says

Myopia – Nil

are you sure it won't create any issue. Because according to what i know my sperical power is -1 D and -1.25 D
this means i am myopic right??

moreover

" Astigmatism +0.75 D Cyl (within +2.0 D – Max) "

i have -2.25D in both eyes.

Does it qualify?

Correct me if i am wrong.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,
thanks for getting back to us.
Your spherical power makes you myopic definitely
It is the cylinderical power that makes you borderline.
Put in your spherical power and -2 cylinders in the frame,and you will realize that you are still within normal limits
Then you can go ahead with a glass of -2 cylinder with sphericals for our eligibility.
Any difficulty please do get back to me.