Is multivitamin drops safe for a new born with bilirubin level of 10.8?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My Sister is 28 years old and she delivered a baby girl last week (at 38 weeks) weighted 2.6 kg, this week we went for a follow up and seen that the weight is reduced to 2.3 kg. Doctor has prescribed a multivitamin drop. Is it okay to give any supplement medication at this early phase? She is under exclusive breastfeeding , when can we expect the weight to be normal.

She has also born with high bilirubin and was under photo therapy for 3 Days. She has been discharged from hospital with a bilirubin level of 10.8 . We are exposing her to normal sunlight twice a day.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Congrats on getting a newcomer into the family. Let me assure you that for a child of 2.6kg it is absolutely normal to lose 300g in the first two weeks. Gradually weight would start catching up once again.

It is normal for the bilirubin level to rise within the first week after birth. The mentioned level is acceptable for age (in days) and body weight. Continue to expose to morning sunlight and it would soon be fine.

Please ensure that the child gets exclusive breast feeding and no top feeds. It will ensure a healthy growth of the child. It would be good to give the Vitamin supplements as advised. Also give Calshine P Drops (Vitamin D) 0.5ml once daily (to be continued). This is important.

Let me know if I can help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 hours later
Her bilirubin level has gone up today at 22.2. Should we admit her for photo therapy? Is the level at danger .
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Admit the child at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The mentioned level of bilirubin is certainly high and calls for double surface phototherapy. You should get the child admitted for the same. If the level gets even higher, the risk increases and further steps might be needed.