Is total IgE level of 2.68 kIU/L a cause for concern?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I want to know what is the meaning of Total IgE is 2.68 kIU/L. Is everything is fine or do i need to go for more test. I am also planning for gluten free diet but not sure if it will help or not. please suggest if i need to go for some other treatments?

Thanks in Advance
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding Alopecia areata- universalis type

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have gone through your query and I gave noted your concern.

IgE levels indicate the level of antibody against an allergen. Total IgE is the sum total of antibodies against all the individual antigens. As per this test your IgE level (total and against individual allergens) is within the limits of normalcy - means you don't have any antibodies against any of the allergens tested.
Perhaps you have alopecia areata - universalis type. It is characterized by total body hair loss. Alopecia areata is not due to a known allergen therefore this IgE test was actually not indicated. Even gluten free diet has no role in the treatment of alopecia areata
You may rather go for a Thyroid screening test - TSH levels, CBC, Blood Sugar, Chest X Ray and Montoux test etc
Various treatment options for alopecia areata, type universalis, include - either systemic Steroids, Phototherapy, oral Methotrexate Or Contact Immunotherapy -e.g with SADBE(squaric acid dibutyl ester) or DPC (diphenylcyclopropenone) or DNCB (dinitrochlorobenzene)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 45 hours later
Hi Sir,

Thanks for the reply,

My blood report is normal too, no major issues in that, i am attaching one which i did last year , 3 month also i did full body checkup and report is almost same (currently i dont have softcopy of it) so attachef old report.

My Allopathy doctor stopped Steroids as it was impacting my backbone as i am suffering with back pain too.

Sir please guide me which should i follow SADBE(squaric acid dibutyl ester) or DPC (diphenylcyclopropenone) or DNCB (dinitrochlorobenzene)?? I will follow parallel to other medication if it is fine..

DO i need to go for gluten allergy test as well? My DHT report is also fine.

If i will start kenacort injection locally then it will show some hair growth but it is not the solution which i can follow in my rest of life to currently i am not taking it.

Please suggest some way forward...

I am also attaching my doctor prescription for last two visits

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding Alopecia areata

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Alopecia universalis or totalis has a notorious tendency to relapse after a seemingly complete cure.
Contact immunotherapy is done for widespread alopecia - universalis or totalis. It is offered in a hospital set up because there is a risk of anaphylaxis. It won't be possible in a clinic.
I think you may take kenacort inj for focal patches of alopecia on your scalp and beard region however for widespread involvement with alopecia either phototherapy, oral steroids, azathioprine or oral methotrexate is an option. You may discuss these with your treating doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana