Is laser treatment advisable when diagnosed with coloboma?

Posted on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello,

I have coloboma by birth in my right eye, so I have been using plain glasses for right eye.
I have -4.00 power for my left eye. Recently for left eye, i got cylindrical power of 0.25.
I have been using glasses from age of 20, and now currently I am 29.
My doctors said that after age 25, the power stabilizes, and I have seen that myself, my power remaining constant at -4.00 from past 2 years.
My concern is why I got this cylindrical power now, and remedies to nullify it or reduce it.
Since my doctor also advised me not to go for laser treatment as i have vision in o
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Too small a cylindrical power

Detailed Answer:
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is a less than minimal change of power.,25 being the smallest change possible.Since this will not be considered any deterioration of power,no remedial measures are needed.
what is meant by a stable power,is that at the time of a recheck for glasses there can always be a small change in 3 to 4 years time which is not as regularly as you used to have at younger age.
we label a 0.25 cylindrical power to be insignificant and if you go to the optometrist for a recheck up a addition of 0.25 glass mat at best lead to some clarity but no additional lines will be read with that addition.
You can have a recheck by an optometrist to confirm and that will keep your mind at rest.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 47 minutes later
Hello Sir,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Yes I was told that it is a very insignificant change and they adivsed me to go ahead with previous spectacles only(without including the cylindrical power)

I am worried because I have vision ONLY in my left eye, and I am thinking that with age my cylindrical power might increase eventhough the power might have stabilised. And might be this issue will create problem to me later!!

So considering this fact, could you suggest how I can take care of my eye properly. I currently use "Itone Eye Drops" regularly twice a day.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I tone eye drop may continue.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I tone eye drop can be used for general cleaning purpose.There will not be much of change in your power till you are around 40.This cylindrical power is not significant.
what we will be keen for you to do is to take care of your general health,take good balanced diet and vitamin supplements are welcome and this will keep things under control.Your concern due to being only eye is justified but we feel that in such cases,any development is detected very early.Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist