Is it safe to take medication for dark lips while breast feeding?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 15 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi,

My lips started getting dark and when I consulted a dermatologist I was said its pigmentation and discoloration. I have been prescribed with below tablets and have been asked to come back after two weeks for a skin biopsy. Is skin biopsy required? its one week now since I have started medication and I feel the difference in my lower lip. But my inner are of my upper lips is still dark but comparatively better to last week. Would this spread all over my body? and is this completely curable?

I have a 6 months old baby whom I am feeding. would the intake of these tablets affect her?

Tables prescribed:
Antoxid HC - 1 - 1
Limcee - 1 - 1
Allegra 180mg 0 - 1

ointments:
Active mf - 1 - 1 - 1
Kenocort - 1- 0- 0
Tacroz forte 0 - 0 - 1

please advice.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide further info.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your uploaded images.

Before guiding you to appropriate help, I would like to know the following.

1. When did you first have this discolouration?

2. Any similar episodes in the past prior to pregnancy?

3. Any family history?

4. Any weight loss since the onset of pigmentation?

5. Any history of gastrointestinal disturbances?

Once I receive the answers, I will completely guide you to accuracy.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 20 hours later

1. I haven't noticed it before, but felt a slight difference roughly 7 to 8 months back. but I had it only on my upper lips. sort of a line which differentiated the colour of my lips. my upper lips half was lighter shade half was turning slight dark brownish colour.

2. I am not sure when this first appeared.

3. no family history

4. No weight loss

5. No history of gastrointestinal disturbances.

Also would like to add on that I underwent appendicitis open surgery in 2003, adhesions laproscopic surgery in 2006 and had gums surgery (had inflammation, and was enlarging) in 2009.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Skin biopsy is mandate in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I am extremely sorry for the delayed response considering my hectic work schedule.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your uploaded images as well.

Since you had gum surgery in the past (for inflammation and enlargement), it's very important that any pigmented lesion should be viewed as a recurrence.

For this sake, A Skin biopsy is a must and it can rule out serious skin lesions like Melanoma or atypical naevi.

The likelihood of spreading to other body parts is pretty unlikely.

The potential for cure is based on the results on biopsy.

Once serious lesions are ruled out, this can be largely curable.

All most all the drugs(except Antoxid HC) which you are currently prescribed have the potential to travel to baby via breast milk. Steroid drugs like Kerocort and Tacroz can cause side effects in the baby.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.