Suggest treatment for recurring mouth ulcers

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I am suffering from recurring mouth ulcers. It's been six month I am struggling with mouth ulcers one after the another mostly on my tongue and it usually takes 20-30 days to disappear. I tried Zincovit tab, B-Forte tab, limcee tab for 2-3 weeks but I don't see the difference. Can you please suggest any tests or other medicines which would help me overcome this pain.

It all started when I had kidney stone and since then mouth ulcers comes one after the another.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

It is recurring Apthous Stomatitis.

Please provide the following details so that I can guide you better.

1. Are you taking any medicines?
2. Are you known allergic to anything?
3. Have you changes your toothpaste or mouthwash after which the symptoms appeared?
4. Do you experience dry mouth?
5. Do you have acid reflux?
6. Do you have white coating on tongue?
7. Do you smoke or chew tobacco?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Thanks for the response.

Please see my replies to your queries.

1. Are you taking any medicines? Currently No.
2. Are you known allergic to anything? No allergies
3. Have you changes your toothpaste or mouthwash after which the symptoms appeared? I've been using Pepsodent from long time but never tried mouthwash.
4. Do you experience dry mouth? No
5. Do you have acid reflux? No but sometime I feel chest pain (burning sensation) in middle region and when I drink 2-3 glasses of water it goes away.
6. Do you have white coating on tongue? No
7. Do you smoke or chew tobacco? I do smoke occasionally but I am not a regular smoker. example 4-5 cigarettes pieces in a week or sometime I do not smoke in 2-3 months.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do some investigatons.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..

You should get some investigations done like serum Vitamin B12 levels, Hb%, serum ferretin levels, total iron binding capacity [TIBC] done as iron and vitamin B12 deficiency is common cause of recurring mouth ulcers.
Also get a complete blood picture done.

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 34 minutes later
Thank you for the detailed answer. Can you please suggest the tests so that I can get them done.

Based on your response I was able to figure out only one test "Complete blood picture". But what is other tests to know "serum Vitamin B12 levels, Hb%, serum ferretin levels, total iron binding capacity [TIBC]"
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 45 hours later
Brief Answer:
All reports are normal..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
All your reports are under normal limits..
So these are probably not the cause..

Can you tell me that are the sores appearing in clusters or individually..
Do you see any sores over the lips or the corners of mouth?
Is there any periodic cycle of occurrence?
If presently sores are present please upload a picture of the sores for better understanding..

Please revert back with details..

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 21 minutes later
Thank you.

Here are my answers to your queries.

Can you tell me that are the sores appearing in clusters or individually (A) Individually.
Do you see any sores over the lips or the corners of mouth? (A) Yes, I see them often on my lips (inside part) and corners of the mouth.
Is there any periodic cycle of occurrence? (A) It's like one go and another comes out soon after. It grows till half centimeter and takes 20-30 days to heal. At a time I see only one on tongue or somewhere in the mouth but rarely I see 2 0r more sores at a time.
If presently sores are present please upload a picture of the sores for better understanding..(A) Please find attached, if picture is not clear I can upload another one.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks to be canker sore only..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
As per the image and your description it looks like canker sore only..

The treatment that you were taking that is Multivitamin was appropriate and is most commonly advised in case of mouth ulcers..

I would like to add a few more things art applying that is:
-Continue Zincovit for one month, no need to take b complex separately.
-Start applying Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% oral paste over the sores.
-You should gargle with 1:1 solution of milk of magnesia and benadryl.[Take a teaspoon full in mouth, swish for about a minute and spit off.]
-Do warm salt water rinses.
-Avoid eating hard, sharp, spicy and acidic foods.
-Avoid using tooth paste containing Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.

Follow for atleast 15 days and update me how it works..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 2 days later
Thanks.

Zincovit tablets - Should I take twice a week or once a day?

Currently I am using Kenacort 0.1% ointment, can I continue with the same or should I use the one you suggested above?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take once a day.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes take zincovit once daily with any meal..
Kenacort can be continued..

Can you tell since when you started both these and is there any improvement??

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 25 minutes later
Kencort I started this week

Zincovit I had for couple of weeks in March/April 2017 then I stopped. However, started again as per your suggestion. I hope I need to continue this for a month.

I changed the toothpaste as well. I am now using Sensodyn whitening which is SLS free.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue the same.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Continue the same..

Please revert back in a week..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad