Is it safe to take Adderall when having family history of Wolff Parkinson white syndrome?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I found out today that my mother has Wolff Parkinson's syndrome, which she only knew because it was discovered during testing in her pregnancy. She has never had any complications. I also have never had any heart problems, but am concerned about this because I have been taking adderall every day for a few months. I haven't had any serious tachycardia or anything but am wondering if I should discontinue use due to my hereditary predisposition. If yes, have I damaged my heart? Could I experience a cardiac event years from now even if I quit?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

You have a positive familiar history for Wolff Parkinson White syndrome, although your mother had never experienced any arrhythmia problems.

My advice is to stop taking adderall and to contact a cardiologist before restarting it. Moreover i suggest to do an ECG and holter monitoring to definitely exclude Wolff Parkinson syndrome.

You shouldn't worry about any heart damage from taking adderall, as long as you have tolerated it well (no arrhythmia). If you quit taking Adderall there will be no other damage in the future. My advice is to stay calm and be relax because it can't do any further damage to you once you stop it.

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu