Is it safe to start antibiotics before the labour starts?
Antibiotics must be taken during labor to kill the bacteria
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
How far you are in your pregnancy?
Was this GBS detected in urine or vaginal swab?
GBS can cause severe disease to the baby. Antibiotics help kill some of the Group B streptococci that can harm the baby during vaginal delivery.
Antibiotics help during labor only. They should not be taken before delivery because the bacteria can grow back quickly. Taking GBS before labor is of no use.
The baby may be at slightly increased risk if born before the 4 hour window. But antibiotics taken when not in labor are of no use. The best thing to do is, once you start feeling mild labor pains go to the ER immediately. Tell the doctor in ER about your GBS status. If any signs however mild of labor are found they would admit and start GBS prophylaxis. Even if delivery occurs before 4 hour window the antibiotic that you receive gives some protection, if not optimum protection.
The usual medicine given for GBS prophylaxis is Benzyl Penicillin. Please tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or have tendency of allergy. They will give you another antibiotic.
If GBS is found in urine, because of the higher risk of infection to baby you need to take antibiotics now and during labor.
I hope I have answered your concerns. If you have any further queries do write to me. I will be happy to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Start taking antibiotics in the evening
- Lactulose to start labour
- How much lactulose to start labour
- I used lactulose to start labour
- Can movicol start earlie labour
- Hips starting to hurt sign labour
- Is thirst a sign of labour starting
- Child has asthma antibiotic resistant infection started clindamyacin safe medication
- Milk of magnesia for starting labour
- Iv antibiotics starting with c
- What causes cramps and menstruation once in sex months?
- What causes bleeding after sexual intercourse?
- How to confirm date of conception?
- Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?
- Is it safe to start antibiotics before the labour starts?
- What causes early period after having Postinor-2?
- Can TSH test be done after breakfast?
- suggest treatment for symptoms of prolapse of vaginal wall or uterus
- What causes upper abdominal pain during pregnancy?
- Does prolactin level in my blood report indicate pregnancy?