Is it safe to have curd and salt in food despite his high BP and diabetes?

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Diet Plans
Question: Hi,

A quick query, my dad is 61 years old and his BP is 100 and 144. Also his sugar levels for fasting are 226 and non fasting are 385. Could you please help me with some dietary restrictions. I know he cannot have sugar for sure. Just want to check whether he can have curd and normal salt in his food.
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.

He can take curd as there is no restriction on it, just make sure that it is made with skimmed milk. Salt intake is to be restricted, you may consider reducing the salt in his vegetables and other curries so that a little may be added to the curd if he wished to have it that way.

Following points would help you manage his salt intake:

     Read the labels to check the sodium content of the food item.
     Stop adding table salt in the food.
     Avoid salted salads, pickles and papads.
     Packaged and preserved foods have the sodium based preservatives. The intake of these should be avoided as far as possible.
     Avoid taking the ready to eat snacks. These are generally from bakery, and thus are loaded with sodium.

To control the blood sugar levels it is important to maintain a balanced food intake, in terms of composition and timings. To start with, make sure that you maintain the meal timings and composition. The second most important thing is to be regular with the exercises and other activities.

The following considerations will be helpful:

•     Include more fruits and vegetables in the diet
•     Avoid the refined foods and its products.
•     Avoid the carbohydrate rich foods, like starchy fruits ( banana, sapota, grapes, custard apple etc.), refined flour, plain sugar, fruit juices.
•     Control and maintain the portion size.
•      Check the fat intake,
Avoid: Butter, Cream sauce, Hydrogenated fat, Cocoa butter, Coconut fat, processed cheese and cream and other commercially baked food items.
Choose: Olive oil, Canola oil, Margarine that's free of trans fats and Vegetable Oils like soybean oil, sunflower oil etc.
•     Include Whole grains and pulses wherever possible

Hope this helps.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad