question-icon

Is it safe to have alcohol after appendicitis surgery? How long should I wait for sex and alcohol?

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2012
Question: is is safe to have alcohol after appendicitis surgery if not then for how long should we wait ? Same in case of having sex ?
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal (40 minutes later)
Dear Sir,

You can consume alcohol 2 weeks after the surgery when all the medications have been stopped and the sutures have been removed. Some of the medications given in the post-operative period (like metronidazole) can have reactions with alcohol.
The same is true for sex. You can have it once the sutures have been removed. It is better to avoid any strenuous activity for atleast 2 weeks after the surgery.

Hope you get well soon.
Dr. Rohan Khandelwal

Oncologist, Surgical