Is it safe to give vista nutritions ginkgo biloba 60 mg capsule to a 13 years old?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My daughter is 13 years old, can i give her ista Nutritions Ginkgo Biloba 60 mg capsule.

Supports healthy circulation to the brain. Vegetarian.
Q. What is ginkgo and what does it do?
A. Ginkgo biloba, from the leaves of the ginkgo tree, is full of antioxidants and flavonoids. Studies suggest that this herb, first used in China, is capable of improving cognitive function, resulting in increased mental sharpness, better concentration and improved memory.
Not for medical use
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 55 minutes later
As you have rightly mentioned Ginkgo biloba is a herb which exhibits anti-infective , chemopreventive , anticancer , and cytotoxic effects in vitro.
The active constituents, bilobalide and ginkgolides, improve the tolerance of brain tissue to hypoxia by increasing cerebral blood flow. Ginkgo can increase blood flow to the brain through arterial vasodilatation.
Supplementation with Ginkgo was thought to improve cognitive performance in healthy adults , and demented patients but recent data are showing conflicting results hence its not medically recommended for improving memory or cognition .
It was also found to be less effective than the standard treatment for ADHD in children.
Apart from this it can also have sideffects like , Headache, dizziness, GI upset, flatulence, diarrhea, contact dermatitis, and palpitations and rarely seizures .
Hence it should never be taken without prescription though many people do take it over the counter.
So it's not recommended to give your 13 year old a ginkgo biloba supplement as of now without any specific indication or prescription by her physician.
Hope I have answered your query .
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 10 hours later
Thank you for he answer doctor....

Can you please advise what can i give my daughter to improve her concentration & memory...

As she is facing problem in her academic..,

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for the follow up.
I understand your concern as a vigilant and health conscious parent.
There are many Factors that hamper memory skills in Children
Medical Conditions
Lack of Concentration
Lack of Interest
Improper eating habits
Irregular sleeping habits
Excessive TV watching
Excessive Stress.
Considering your daughter has no known significant medical illnesses you should make sure that the other factors are taken care of.Most importantly , a proper balanced meal with loads of protein, fiber, mineral and carbohydrates will work positively for the brain and thus improve the memory of kids.

Few foods which are known to help improve the memory of kids and should be included in your daily diet include:
Vegetables: Egg plant, Beet root, Spinach, Legumes, Onions, Broccoli, Turnips, cauliflowers, cabbage, asparagus, bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, radish
Fruits: Strawberries, XXXXXXX Blueberries, Oranges, Melons, Sweet lime, Lemon
Fish: Mackerel, Salmon, Sardines, Tuna
Soy Products: Soy milk, Soya chunks, Tofu
Dairy Products: Yogurt, Milk, Cheese, Cottage cheese.

Apart from this many teens have low hemoglobin or iron deficiency ( anaemia ) which is a major cause of poor academic performance and should be corrected with appropriate hematinics . You can ask her doctor for prescribing a daily hematinic and multivitamin supplement like Orofer Xt and Zincovit syrup .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.