Is it safe to fly when suffering from vasculitis in both lower legs?

Posted on Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I want fly home from Sydney to uk in approx 6 days. I have inflamed swollen lower legs
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You will have to get venous system of leg checked. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. You will have to get checked for lower leg veins, particularly for thrombosis. If there is history of recent thrombosis or risk of thrombosis then avoid the journey or take it under guidance of your doctor only. Doctor might want you to put on some medications and suggest using stockings while travelling.To prevent stasis of blood one needs to be mobile during flight at frequent intervals.So in case you travel, request seat where you can get up and have short walk frequently.Also elevate limbs whenever possible during flight. A precautionary color Doppler of leg veins is recommended. Hope this helps you to take decision.Regards
Dr. Sudhir