Owl Image

Is it safe to breastfeed while having typhoid fever?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hai this is XXXXXXX my son 9 months old.my wife sufferung from typhoid fever.can she continue brest feeding?typhoid range is 1:160.tell me the answer please
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Since your wife is taking adequate treatment for typhoid fever, she can continue the breast feeding. The typhoid infection is not transmitted through the breast feed. Please do not worry.
Just make sure that she takes all her medicines timely and completes the treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Is it safe to breastfeed while having typhoid fever? 52 minutes later
i want pediatric suggestion

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I had a few discussion with a pediatrician working in my hospital. He agrees with my advise and has given a similar opinion. So do not worry.

I cannot transfer this query to a Pediatrician in the middle of our discussion. If you wish you can opt for 'Ask A Specialist' package where a Specialist Pediatrician will answer.

Write back if you have further queries. Wishing your wife a trouble free speedy recovery.