Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Is it possible for blood samples to change from one period to another for SR and CRP ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
Is it possible that bloodsamples can change from one period to another when it comes to SR and CRP? In 2001 my CRP was 10 and my SR was 21. Wich is normal as far as I know. In the last 8 years the blood-values have changed from CRP (around 26) and SR (68 in the last two years). The doctors says its normal, but how could it be, when I`ve had lower levels earlier?
They`ve given up on me, and I`m scared of letting it go without checking every soulution possible. It must be something. Can it be a possible damage after taking painkillers in overdose several times the 8 last years?
I`m feeling healthy and fine beside of this, and that`s why I want to know what it could be. I`m desperate. The doctors have given me up!
They`ve taken both ex-ray and CT, without any answers. Only thing, which they were uncertain at, was a lymph node they thought was a bit larger than it should. But they didn`t go any further checkin it out.
I`m desperat to get a proper and respectful opinion. It cost an amount to go to the doctor and hoping to get help, and the only thing they say is "Sorry, its just something you need to live with, there`s nothing we can do".

Can SR and CRP change from a period to another in such a large rise, without anything is wrong? Wouldn`t it then have been shown in ALL my bloodsamples from earlier that the blood levels were unstable?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
C-reactive protein and ESR both are non-specific markers of infection or inflammation in the body. Their levels do rise in some physiological conditions also like during menstruation. So, a minimum level has been fixed beyond which it is considered that the rise in the levels is problematic and needs to be investigated.
In your case, the levels have raised but are not so high so as to look for the pathologies. These are within the normal physiological range. Hence it can be still be normal in a person even though SR and CRP are raised than the previous values
In your case, you have mentioned that you are struggling with joint pains which means that there is some inflammation in your joints - may be arthritis. This should be a reason enough for mild rise in the CRP and ESR levels like yours.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it possible for blood samples to change from one period to another for SR and CRP ? 30 hours later
But, can CRP (which was 10 in year 2001) and SR (which was 21 in 2001) suddenly just increase like this, without anything is wrong? What test can I ask my doctor to take further when it comes to joint pains? They`ve said that my samples are "fine", but I`m sure that if a physiotherapist gets a look at me, he will notice that my muscles are very bad. Perhaps because of stress or wrong way of using my muscles....I don`t know!
But, shall I just say "Ok, i had low levels way back in the past and now their higher - I`m sure its nothing"....Or should I command the doctors to take it more seriously. And how can I do this?
What bloodsamples can they take, and WHAT are the values I must look for? I`ve read on the internet that in many occasions people with rheumatism are misdiagnosed bacause when bloodsamples are taken and the results come back, the values are so low that many doctors don`t take this seriously. And I know that each person can react in different ways and have the same values.
Are there any measuring chart I can refer to and show my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Since your SR and CRP levels are within the physiological limits there is no need to investigate them further. Such variation can happen. You can repeat the tests after one month and see if it is still increasing.For rheumatoid arthritis, you can go for RA factor and other specific tests under guidance of a rheumatologist who will guide you best.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor