• question-icon

    Is it normal to have swelling in legs after a partial nephrectomy?

Posted on Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in General Health
Question: I had a partial nephrectomy in October, had a ct scan a few weeks ago was told all is fine but I'm still swollen and still have pain. I don't understand. I also am on LASIK. But my hands, feet and legs are still swollen I can hardly make a fist. Should I go see a nephrologist? The doctor that did my surgery is a urologist.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, see a nephrologist! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this nephrectomy you had and the current swollen body. I hope identify the exact cause and provide a long lasting solution to this problem. Generalized swelling of the body(oedema) can be caused by kidney, heart, liver or nutritional problems. Given the renal diseases and surgery you have had, this would most likely be of kidney origin than the other causes. It would be a god thing to follow up with a nephrologist. He would evaluate your kidney function to see whether the kidneys are functioning normally or not. If the problem is not related to the kidneys, then you would be investigated for heart and liver problems. When the exact cause is established, a specific treatment plan would be established for you. Lasix increases urination but decrease excess fluid in the body but does not treat the cause of the problem. The cause needs to be identified so that you can receive proper treatment and long lasting treatment If I may ask, what was the reason for the partial nephrectomy? Do you have an idea on the numbers of your kidney function tests? I hope I have addressed your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to as for more information or clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 6252 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Chobufo Ditah
  • Q - Feel constipated. Noticed white thread like strings in stools. Have...

  • Q - Having trouble focusing, completing tasks, and remembering things. Tried...

  • Q - Had attached fitness score report. What are the findings?

  • Q - Have raised platelet. Prescribed thyroxine for under active thyroid....

  • Q - Hba1c-5.2, Fasting blood sugar test-70 and Mean Glucose EBT-103....

  • Q - Foreskin is attached to penis through strip of skin, pain when move...

  • Q - Getting throbbing pain in arm moving down to elbow and wrist. Had no...

  • Q - Have swollen gums. Had endonitis work on root canal. Is this due to...

  • Q - Have swollen lymph in jaw. Prescribed zithromax. Is that enough?

  • Q - On trivolib, jauvia and Diamicronmr. Fasting sugar 180 to 230. How to...