Is it normal for a baby's palms to be hot?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi, I have a 2 month old baby. She is otherwise fine.

Since last two days, her palms(both sides) are sometimes very hot and she is sometimes very cranky, crying.

Is it normal?
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Nice to see you again.

Hot palms and feet are not a problem to be concerned.
Metabolic rate variation may cause it.
These are not indicators of baby's body temperature.

To find out the 'core temperature', place your hand flat against the skin of the baby’s back or chest. If he/she feels pleasantly warm and not too hot or cold, it means his/her body temperature is normal.

Baby may be cranky due to colic pain, hunger, wet diaper etc.
Take the temperature with the thermometer.
Just keep watch on the temperature and get back to me if temperature rises above 99.5 F.

When to worry?

Lack of energy, Doesn't pass urine for over eight hours, Stools are yellow-green in color, Not feeding normally, Cries and is irritated when carried, Is vomiting, Feels hot and sweaty or hot and dry.

Hope I helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari