• question-icon

Is insomnia a side effect of taking Norvasc?

Posted on Fri, 6 Feb 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been prescribed Benicar and recently Norvasc. Since the last few days of taking the Norvasc I have been experiencing insomnia and have had to use a sleeping pill which is not working very well. I am wondering if insomnia is a side effect of Norvasc?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is a moderately common side effect ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. You are quite right ma'am, insomnia is indeed a side effect of novasc (with the active ingredients amlodipine besylate), although not a very common one, it is indeed noted in many patients using the medication.

Please speak to your doctor about the same, as he/she can easily substitute this medication with one which has less serious and more tolerable side effects or no side effects at all. I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan