Is hip replacement surgery possible while on Warfarin?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Ive seen seen an orthopaedic surgeon this morning and he agrees o need hip replacement. He is hoing to have to consult with my haematologist because i take warfarin after PEs 19 months ago. Im sure other warfarin patients have surgery, and i inderstand the risk, but he did mention using a blood folter a safeguard. What does this procedure emtail ease? Is it external to the body rather than invasive? Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is invasive methods

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Filters are invasive and used as the alternative to Warfarin in patients to prevent pulmonary embolism. As you already have an attack of PE in past, so you can have a recurrence. For doing the hip replacement, doctors need to stop warfarin and that can increase chances of Pulmonary embolism. If you are not willing of the filter then another method is LMWH. In this heparin injection is given rather than Warfarin. So you can discuss this option with your doctor.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 8 minutes later
Many thanks for your advice. I do remember him mentioning another course of action, but my bad hearing and his strong Irish accent prevented me from understanding it all. Many thanks .
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest you to choose heparin.

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest you to choose Heparin. You can start warfarin after coming home.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 minutes later
Thanks, that does sound the better pption. When ifirst suffered PEs i was immediately given herparin, followed by warfarin. I eas only supposed to have warfarin for six months, but them it was thought best to prolong it. Many thanks .
Brief Answer:
Wish you a fast recovery

Detailed Answer:
I wish you a fast recovery.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 5 minutes later
Many thanks for quick response
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please write a review

Detailed Answer:
Please write a review.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 hours later
Thankyou for your swift and kind advice. This has given me the confidence to go ahead with hip surgery
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wish you a fast recovery

Detailed Answer:
I wish you a fast recovery.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Many thanks!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks, Please write a review.