Is heart rate of 99 bpm a cause for concern?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jan 2016 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: i got 99bmp for my heart rate is that good or bad
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Heart rate 99 is normal after activity, please see after 30 minutes of rest

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The heart rate is number of times your heart contracts in a minute. The normal desired resting heart rate in an adult human is 72 beats per minute. The normal range is between 60 to 100 beats per minute.

2. Having a heart rate of 99 beats per minute approaches the upper limit of normal resting heart rate. Heart rate changes with physical activity and mental function.

3. Heart rate is also influenced by many medical conditions including thyroid dysfunction, heart diseases, metabolic conditions, anemia.

4. A heart rate of 99 beats per minute at your age is acceptable if it was after some physical activity or mental pre occupation.

5. It is suggested that you measure your resting heart rate when you are relaxed. You can tell a friend to check your heart rate after you have taken rest for 30 minutes. This can be done 2 to 3 times and if it is persistent approaching 99 beats per minute then a consultation with your doctor is suggested.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D