• question-icon

Is heart rate of 112 bpm a cause for concern?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have a resting heart rate of 112 and feel sick to my stomach - I'm 19 and healthy
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For how long have you been throwing up?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this sick feeling and the rapid heart rate. If you have been throwing up for long, this rapid heart rate may point to dehydration and requires that you get fluids administered probably through the veins as you cannot drink well. If you have been throwing up just for a short time, it may be related to a worried state of mind than dehydration. Before recommending what action to take, please help me with responses to the following questions.

1. For how long has this been happening?
2. How often do you throw up?
3. Have you ever been treated for anxiety in the past?

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 minutes later
Thrown up once
Heart rate has done this several times over the past few months
Feel very shakey and weak
Have not had anxiety
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need t be evaluated for possible anxiety related disorder!

Detailed Answer:

This is definitely not dehydration or any complication related to vomiting. Vomiting once is not enough to cause this. I will not also consider a drug to stop vomiting at the time.

However, this heart rate a couple of time sin the past months for someone of your age is suggestive of anxiety and not really heart disease. I will suggest that you get evaluated and possibly managed accordingly.

Keep me posted about this. BE cam, relaxed and catch some rest in a quite and not too lit environment.
Dr. Ivo Ditah