Is gallbladder removal advisable while having gall stones, excessive belching, flatulence and pain?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Thank you. I have questions about my gall bladder. For the last 2 plus years I have had some pain (0 to 2 on scale of 10 worst) in my right/lower/mid abdomen. Having had an ultra sound then, and cat scan, gall bladder showed stones/polyps. I sleep, eat fine. Weight is stable, good. Doctor exam today (after another ultra sound & scan) shows stones, still. I don't like the pain and am wondering about gall bladder removal. I've scanned data on the net. Excretory system, urinary & bowels in good shape. But, I've been burping a lot since August 2017. I've had bowel gas, passed gas, more than I ever have the last month. Not a lot, but some. I see the burping and passing bowel gas as symptoms. What to do? Doc said "We can take it out. Maybe let it ride for now." I don't like it. Tell me what you think?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Planned laproscopic removal of gallbladder.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Treatment of choice for asptomatic stone or polyp in gallbladder is to remove it by a planned laproscopic surgery..Sometimes small stones from gallbladder may slip into pancreas causing acute pancreatitis which may even cause death also.
As per gas and burping is concerned.The pathophysiology of gas and flatulence is complicated.
The term gut microflora or microbiota means hundeds of species of bacteria which lives in our intestinal tractintestinal tract.These bacterias and yeast are responsible for proper digestion and fermentation of food. Hundereds of species of bacteria and yeast re found in colon of human intestine.In the same way thousands of these species florishes in our gut these bacteria play a vital role in digestuio and absorption of food.Even minor disturbances in gut microflora can lead to significant changes in gut function, including gas production.
There are various mechanism that can be related to increased flatulence

If this microbiota is disturbed food is improperly fermented causing production of large amount of gases in gut leading to severeburping bleching and flatulence.Hence most commmon cause in most of the cases is disturbed microbiota.In old patient mobility of intestines is severly compromised leading to accumulation of large amount of gases in intestines.As persitaltic moments are week gas accumulates in intestines.Severe constipation or incomplete evacuation can also hinder the passage of gases.

Take a probiotic daily for it.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana