Is flying safe when suffering from cellulitis in leg?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have cellulitis in my left leg and am half way through a course of anti-biotics and penicillin . Is it OK to fly commercial for 90 minutes to go on holiday?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not exactly ok

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

It all depends upon the response of your cellulitis to the antibiotics and the availability and affordability of the medical facilities at your holiday destination.

The duration of the flight is not a problem. You just have to keep your leg moving at frequent intervals.

The more important thing is, is the cellulitis responding to your antibiotics. If not then its advisable to get it cured fully first by proper medication. Else you won't be able to enjoy your holiday.

And if its resolving cellulitis, you should always be prepared for it turning back during your holiday due to your increased movements. So beforehand check out the medical facilities and their affordability at the places, just in an unlikely event that you may need to ascess it.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari