Is drinking barley water advisable during 19 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 8 Jun 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I am a 19 weeks pregnant and many of them are suggesting me to drink barley water but I have seen some risks for drinking it please suggest if barley water is safe to drink or not
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid barley water

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Barley water can be taken in pregnancy as it reduces morning sickness and vomiting.It is also known to reduce uterine cramps.
However, its over consumption is associated with abortions and very rarely birth defects, though scientifically not proven.
So, in my opinion, it is better to avoid barley water in second trimester, as nausea, morning sickness and vomiting is usually subsided by this gestation.
It is better to have lot of fluids in form of lemon water, buttermilk, coconut water, which contains proteins, nutrients and minerals beneficial for both you and your baby.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj