Is pregnancy possible despite taking an I-pill?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: I had unprotected sex on the 6th day on my period cycle after the period ended. But to avoid any chance of pregnancy I took i-pill within 36 hours of intercourse. From the 12th day bleeding and cramps started and it's been 5 days that it has continued. I took the pregnancy test but it was negative. Is there anything I should be worried about? My urine was foamy recently during this bleeding.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to i-pill.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The bleeding that you are having is a withdrawal bleeding due to the effect of the i-pill that you took. This bleeding usually stops in 7-10 days on its own. You will have your next periods delayed by 7-10 days. The pregnancy is not likely. No need to worry.
The cloudy urine can be due to an infection which can be ruled out after a urine test.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Why is it so painful? Pain is at the left and right side of the abdomen. Also slightly above the small of the back. Does I-pill cause so much of discomfort? I had taken it some 6 months back too. It wasn't as painful then, neither was there any bleeding at that time.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to the bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain can be due to uterine cramps that cause the bleeding. The pain should decrease as the bleeding subsides. There can be a variation in pain and bleeding according to the time of the cycle you took the pill.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D