Is discomfort under the arms indicative of fungal infection?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on 5 days ago in General Health
Question: Hi, I have a small discomfort at my left armpit. It is not all the time, After I sleep, usually I don't feel anything unusual. It is towards afternoon when I start feeling it. It kind of annoys me when I stretch my arm. I used to eat a lot of pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds but I stopped a few days ago. I am 49 and I still have periods, actually I've had them quite often lately.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further inputs needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I would need to ask you whether you can feel any lump in your armpit and whether there seems to be some rashes present there. I would also insist you to elaborate on the nature of discomfort. A fungal infection could be the cause. If that is the case, application of candid (clotrimazole) powder should provide relief. I would be able to suggest further after getting your inputs.

I would await your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 25 minutes later
It is like a muscle pain. No rash or lump. It is not painful but when I try to stretch my arm down and towards me, I feel something, maybe a small pain. 4-6 weeks ago I had a painful spot at my right armpit. That disappeared in two days completely.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
It could be due to muscle spasm which could occur if in case somehow you have developed an electrolyte imbalance. I would insist you to take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps. You also need to increase total fluid (water) intake and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Thank you very much.
Mihaela
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back if you ever have a health related query in the future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D