Is diminished esophageal peristalsis life-threatening?

Question
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this diminished peristalsis and all the inconveniences this must have caused you.

Diminished esophageal peristalsis is not life threatening. What matters is the severity of your symptoms which manifests as difficulties swallowing. If this is very severe and greatly impacts on your health, measures would be taken to address this. If this was noted simply on various investigations for other conditions, there is no need to get worried about this.

In all, it is not life threatening. The severity of symptoms determine whether intervention is needed or not. I it was accidentally found on testing for other conditions, please ignore and move on quietly.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.