Is diarrhea a symptom of mononucleosis?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had mono for three weeks now. Still have semi-loose dark stool and gas. No blood. No vomiting. Is this a symptom along with the fatigue and nausea?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no such symptom

Detailed Answer:

diarrhea (or loose stools) is not considered to be a symptom of mononucleosis. Nausea and fatigue are common symptoms (particularly the latter). Fatigue may last for many days or even weeks after recovery (no fever).

Dark stool may be normal or abnormal. It depends on how you define 'dark'. Black for example may mean upper gastrointestinal bleeding (usually in the stomach or duodenum). Dark brown is normal. A photo may help.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!