Is cough with yellow mucus suggestive of TB?

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello I am 3 months pregnant 28 year old women. From last one week I have cough with yellow mucus. I m afraid of getting T.B as I had T.B three years ago but I had completed the course. Could I have T.B again.
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, Welcome to HCM,

We usually suspect TB when cough is present for 2 weeks and other symptoms such as low grade fever, weight loss, fatigue are present.

Do you have any of these symptoms?

If you want to confirm about TB the best way would be to get early morning sputum checked for AFB on three days this will say for sure if you have TB Or not.

Moreover, in the worse case scenario if you are diagnosed with TB then you can still take medication for the same during pregnancy as most TB medication can be taken in pregnancy and you have crossed the critical period of 3 months.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 4 days later
Hello mam
As asked by u, I have no such symptoms of T.B like fever, fatigue or weight loss. But from few days I have vomiting. I m 4 month pregnant now I didn't had any vomiting earlier in my first trimester. So I find this unusual moreover yellow sputum is persistent and is not going specially in morning. Could u please suggest some food items that I should avoid or that I should intake. Also could u suggest any medication. Is there anything to worry. Hoping for your response this time.
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do sputum test

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I do not think you have Tuberculosis. The fact that you do not have fever, weight loss points that somethings else is the cause.

The best thing would be to get your sputum checked, as it is persistent, this will definitely rule out TB and reassure you.

Yes nausea and vomiting due to pregnancy is more common in the first few weeks of pregnancy and usually subside by 20 weeks. But some women can have vomiting from 12 to 20 weeks also; and its perfectly fine as long as it doesn't hamper your routine work.

Also avoid spicy food and oil, other than that everything else is fine to eat.

You could take vitamin B6 for the vomiting. Ginger is also known to help for pregnancy induced morning sickness.

I did not get your previous follow up question, probably it was a system error, do not worry I will try to answer your queries promptly, as I usually reply within 6 hours of receiving the question.

Hope this decreases your anxiety .
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 1 hour later
Thanks for ur quick response. I m less worried now. Is there anything else that I need to consider to avoid such cough in future.
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
good diet

Detailed Answer:

Nothing much but do avoid things which can cause cold and irritation of throat such as cold drinks, ice cream, and eat well balanced nutritious diet in pregnancy and breast feeding which includes green leafy vegetables, fruits that will ensure that you have adequate immunity to fight off minor infections.

Hope this helps.
Bye.