Is constant cough despite taking medication a cause for concern in a child?

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi,my name is XXXXXXX I have a 5 yr old that had a cough last week. I kept her home for 2 days. Her cold was getting better, so I let her go back to school. I noticed Tuesday evening that she was coughing again. During the night, she began to cough uncontrollably. During the day, she appears much better. However, last night, she woke up coughing, has a runny and stuffy nose. There is also the watery eyes and mucous crusted around her right eye. I am currently giving her Claritin and Mucinex. Should I be giving her something different?
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cough

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.

It is very common for the symptoms to be worse at night then during the day.
At this point you don't have to do anything different. The only thing I would consider is if you find the claritin not making a difference you can try zyrtec instead. Besides that, no reason to change anything. If she develops a fever, or you notice the symptoms not getting any better after 7 more days, I recommend consulting with your doctor.