Is complete course of medication necessary to cure MDR TB?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: http://www.healthcaremagic.com/AskDoctorInboxServlet?page=viewQuery&queryId=101878
i am following from last18 months. as i previously discuss about my wife,s MDR TB case to you. it is now 22 months finished with two months left of treatment. AFB cullture reoprt for 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 21s was negative no any bacteria was seen.
now i need your help again to know what is the procedure to stop the treatment?
her weight is gain up to 53 kgs from the previous 35 kgs.. please suggest me how is her progress?
if i need to go for any test before stopping this treatment?
my doctors are hear suggesting me to stop the treatment shall i continue with tablets (COXERIN 250mg x 2, ETHINOMIDE 250mg x 2, LEVOFLOX 750mg, ecox 800mg. , pyeradoxin 100mg,) for more than 24 months ? if yes than upto how long?
also her blodd test and other LFT test were showing good result there no any abnormality there a latest soft copy of blood report i am attaching here.
please suggest me any test or treatment in this regards.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry much for this. You can stop the treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the reports.
Treatment of MDR tb should last for atleast 24 months.
So give her tablets for total 24 months.
No need to further extend the course beyond 24 months.
Complete the total course of 24 months.
In future if she develops cough, fever, weight loss than get done chest x ray and sputum AFB culture.
Maintain good immunity by multivitamin tablet and high protein diet.
No need to worry at present. Just finish the 24 months treatment.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 26 minutes later
Thanks for your advise sir,a bit of doubt stands in my mind is there persist chances of being some live bacteria in body , even though sputom culture negative up to 24 months. Or likely to occur tb again after completion of MDR full 24 month course. It will be great if you suggest some multivitamin tablets and their dosage.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
With good immunity and hygiene, recurrence rates are low.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
I can understand your concern.
Honestly speaking, chances of recurrence and relapse are always high in any tb patient (drug sensitive as well as drug resistant cases).
But with maintainace of good immunity and hygiene, chances of recurrence can be decreased.
Multivitamin tablets like supradyn, becosule z, pulmofit etc are easily available in the market.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on XXXX
Wishing good health to your wife . Thanks.