Can hand-foot-and-mouth disease be contracted through physical contact?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I am a 29 year old female. I developed symptoms of the hand foot & mouth disease on 11/17 (mouth sores, rash on my hands and feet and knees on 11/19. I was officially diagnosed by a doctor on 11/20. I wanted to know if I am still contagious via physical contact? Can I go out in public and shop for groceries etc, go to hair appointments, etc?

I have attached photos of the rash on my hand on 11/20, 11/21, and today 11/24.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are not having blisters & if mouth ulcers healed you are not contagious

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photographs.
Your rash is mainly in the form of red macules ( patches ) on the hands and not in the form of blisters.
Its already a week that you have started with your symptoms and if your mouth blisters have healed then no need to worry.
You are not contagious and can safely carry on with your routine activities and go out in public.
This rash will take another 5-7 days to disappear completely. Nothing to worry about.
Dr Asmeet

Follow-up: Can hand-foot-and-mouth disease be contracted through physical contact? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your response. My tongue is still extremely sensitive and I think I have one ulcer left in my mouth, I can't tell. I attached a photo of my tongue and under my tongue. just want to confirm whether or not I still have ulcers.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the newly attached photographs of the oral cavity.
Your tongue is looking red with increase papillary projections though I can't appreciate any ulcer.
This could be related to the viral infection.
It will resolve in few days.
Meanwhile you can take vitamin B supplements like tablet Supradyn for 10-14 days to hasten the recovery.

Follow-up: Can hand-foot-and-mouth disease be contracted through physical contact? 31 hours later
Hi, I have one more question. My husband and I are supposed to babysit our nephew for a few hours tomorrow 11/26. He is 6 months old. We are his mom's last resort. Can the baby get HFMD from me still?

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely that baby can contract HFMD from you

Detailed Answer:
It is very unlikely that baby can get HFMD from you.
You can go for baby sitting.

Follow-up: Can hand-foot-and-mouth disease be contracted through physical contact? 10 days later
yes I appreciate your response. thank you!!

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
All the best!!