Is calcium supplement necessary inspite of having hypothyroidism?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,
I am 55 years old, 63 kgs and 5.5" - diagnoised with multinodular goitre (hypothyroidsm - subclinical). Once in three months, I am getting TSH test done and at the moment, it is 4.52 as against 12.61 about a year ago when first diagnoised. My doctor has advised me to take Thyronorm 50 mg and Corcium one tab. a day. I have BP which is well under control. For this, I am on Olmetrack 20 mg tab. per day. Last year, when hyptothyroidism was detected, my doctor had suggested Thyrocal alongwith Thyronorm. However, 6 months back, he changed the calcium tab. to CORCIUM. After this, I have heard few of my friends/relatives commenting looking at my face that I am not looking healthy? Is this due to Corcium tablet? For this unhealthy looking problem, I did consult an Ayurvedic doctor who suggested to stop the calcium tab. instead supplement it with natural food giving calcium. Is it a MUST that a calcium tab. should be taken along with Thyronorm tab. I am deprived of sound sleep for quite sometime. I am worried. Pl. help.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no obligation

Detailed Answer:

Yes, there can some changes occur due to continuous taking of calcium tablets.

No, there is no compulsion that you should take calcium tablets when you have hypothyroidism.

I suspect you might be having some other problem for which your doctor might have placed you on calcium tablets. Please discuss the same with your doctor before you stop or take any alternative medications.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your reply.
However, I would like to know if Thyrocal and Corcium, are they both Calcium tablets? Also, do they affect kidney if taken for longer term?

My doctor, while replacing Thyrocal with Corcium told me that since Thyrocal is bigger in size, he is replacing with Corcium which is easier to swallow and there is no other reason.

Pl. also let me know if I have to take Thyronorm life long?

Regds

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, they are calcium

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, they are calcium tablets.

No, they do not affect the kidney but can cause other metabolic disturbances.

Taking thyronorm for life is subjective, some may have to but in some the hypothyroid state gets reversed and they may have to stop the thyronorm.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,