Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Is burning sensation and cramps in pelvic region caused due to spermicide?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I had sex using a condom containing spermicide and now I believe I'm having a reaction to it. Burning, hot like feeling and cramps in the general pelvic and lower pelvic region... Not sure what to do...
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Spermicide gel or foam is usually NOT recommended with having pelvic disease or vaginal infection. It can aggravate burning sensation and vaginal irritation to some extent. Allergic reaction is quite common among women using Spermicide or chemical lubricated condom. Vaginal yeast infection or Trichomoniasis are the other causative agent if you have vaginal discharge (+/-) bad smell. In that case, one vaginal swab test is required to confirm the diagnosis and make better drug treatment. In this case, you can do the following things to get relieve: 1) Clean the vaginal area with plain cold water and keep the area dry. Don't wipe the genital area much. 2) Use vaginal moisturizer cream or maintain vaginal pH with VAGISIL cream. It will help to reduce vaginal irritation. Take anti-spasmodic medication like DROTIN to reduce abdominal or pelvic cramp. 3) Wear only clean and cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. 4) Take healthy diet with with anti oxidant (like Vitamin -E or C, Selenium, Zinc, Lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. 5) Antibiotic or vaginal suppository may be required if above symptoms persist more than 3 to 4 days. In that case, you must consult with local doctor for complete prescription following clinical examination. 6) Avoid chemical cosmetics or soaps or scented bath products around genital area. Don't practice unprotected sex till the problem is completely resolved. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor